Few things shout spring louder than the classic combination of Rhubarb and Strawberry. It is a Midwest classic. Tart fresh rhubarb combined with sweet, juicy strawberries is good served many ways. One of the best just may be in this cocktail, with the addition of just picked basil.
Nature has perfect timing. Just as that rhubarb patch is begging to be picked, the first of the early spring strawberries are abundant in the stores. This is the time to cook up a batch of this delicious Rhubarb Strawberry Basil Syrup. You can preserve it, or just put it in a closed jar in the refrigerator where it will keep for several weeks. But, don’t limit it to just this delicious margarita. It is wonderful over pancakes or waffles, poured over ice-cream or pound cake or mixed with a bit of lemon lime soda for a refreshing soft drink.
- 2 ounces rhubarb syrup
- 2-1/2 ounces tequila
- ½ lime, sliced
- 2 small strawberries
- Fresh strawberry and basil for garnish
- 2 pounds cleaned and chopped rhubarb
- 10 fresh basil leafs
- 2 cups sugar
- Rub a lime slice around rim of margarita glass. Dip glass in sugar or salt and chill.
- Place the strawberries and wedge of lime in the bottom of a cocktail shaker with a little ice. Using a wooden spoon or meddler, crush the berries and lime to extract the juice. Fill the shaker about half full of ice. Pour the syrup and tequila. Shake for 10 seconds or until very cold.
- Fill chilled glass with ice. Strain margarita over ice. Garnish with strawberry and basil.
But, of course we think you will love this delicious margarita. It may be a good idea to prepare it by the pitcher, so you are sure to have enough.